So you have a running system with almost all software installed, out of the box. But there is more: This page… With a huge amount of additions.
THIS ARTICLE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. YOUR POSITIVE INPUT IS APPRECIATED.
Preparing for software installation
As preparation, a list of packages that are handy and not in the standard installation follows, “apt install” (as root) is the command for this.
Do not simply install everything, just take what you need.
- You can copy the table and paste (ctrl-v) it in LibreOffice Calc, cell A1.
- Now you have all data in columns A, B, C and D
- Next, remove direct formatting of cells:
- In Mousepad, you can paste contents of column A
- Suppose you want to install package5, package13, package20 and package45.
- Create a text line as followed:
- apt install package5 package13 package20 package45
- Copy this line to the clipboard
- Open a terminal ctrl-alt-t
- Enter “sudo su” with password when asked. You have root privileges (#).
- Paste the apt install … text line on the command line. Installation should start.
Choose your tools
- If you don’t need it, don’t install it. Make sure you know what you are installing
- You can sort the table by clicking once or twice on the headers.
- The links are for helping you decide…
- Check the output of your terminal carefully for errors.
- LibreOffice does not contain myspell by default, so it is installed separately. However: hunspell is preferable to myspell, en-us is already installed with LO. See part 5.
- Fonts that are compatible with Microsoft fonts in terms of geometry:
- fonts-croscore for
- Times New Roman (Tinos)
- Arial (Arimo) and
- Courier (Cousine)
- fonts-crosextra-carlito for Calibri and
- fonts-crosextra-caladea for Cambria.
- fonts-croscore for
Personal Package Archives. Not discussed here in detail. If you run into trouble with a checked and secure package from the official distributions, and there are ppa’s, you can consider using them, effective giving access to the ppa maintainer – a security issue – but solving your problem.
Some packages are bleeding edge. They are added in the table but you may want to use alternatives for now (2019 Okt.):
- Blender 2.8 is totally different and recommended. Go to https://www.blender.org/download/ and install.
- Olive is by far the best video editor and brand new. Ppa from Olive team:
apt install olive-editor
Continue with part 4: Tuning Linux