Link to image, feel free to share. License: .
++++++++++ START LETTER ++++++++++
Dear Mrs. Ursula von der Leyen, Mr. Marc Rutte, Mr. Volodymyr Zelenskyy and FRE/RL web team
You can make nice plans to get rid of Russian energy with windmills and drilling new oil fields. However, every day, today, that we use Russian energy, blood is on our hands.
- Every euro we put into Putin’s war machine brings unacceptable suffering.
- Every euro that we do not put in will make the whole world more secure.
Let’s be very honest: if we work at home as much as possible, drive in a limited and economical way, turn off the heating where possible and use less fuel in our homes and offices, we probably won’t need Russian gas and oil at all.
That is a sacrifice totally out of proportion to the great misery of war and the extreme threat to the world.
But it is not happening and that is sad and frustrating.
Here lies a task for the EC and European national governments. Take action! It now comes across as: “Ukrainians, here you have some more weapons to defend our world freedom, how terrible for you that so many intensely beloved people are dying, but we don’t want to get cold.”
For municipalities that find it difficult to break contracts with Gazprom: it is no problem, because Gazprom is Putin’s personal puppet show. Gazprom is the criminal cash cow that finances the aggression of war criminal Putin. Municipalities that do not tear up the contracts with Gazprom should ask themselves whether they are not complicit.
@ Mr Marc Rutte: Can you show that the Netherlands is an example in this, and motivate my fellow countrymen to take strong action against Russian energy? Tip: when Volodymyr Zelenskyy brings this up on Thursday, you can already prepare yourself.
@ Mrs Ursula von der Leyen: Could you, following the example of Marc Rutte, encourage all EU countries to take similar action?
@ Mr Volodymyr Zelenskyy: That Ukraine’s struggle is a global struggle for democracy is something most EU Europeans understand very well. So you could call citizens (and politicians) to account for their energy consumption. Tip: Thursday, during the speech to the Dutch parliament, might be a good opportunity.
@ FRE/RL: The fact that most EU citizens do not limit their energy consumption at all has news value, as does the fact that governments are doing nothing to change this so far.
Wiebe van der Worp
URL of this letter: https://vanderworp.org/no-gazfrom/
++++++++++ END LETTER ++++++++++
- Mr Marc Rutte: https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/contact/informatie-rijksoverheid/e-mail-sturen
- Mrs Ursula von der Leyen: Head of Cabinet firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr Volodymyr Zelenskyy: Ambassade van Oekraïne email@example.com
- RFE/RL web team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marc Rutte – not at all electronically accessible – reacted to Zelenskyy’s speech: “It is also important that we can keep our people warm and our basic industries running.“